Wedding Workout Frenzy

I think it is pretty normal to hear of brides doing crazy diets and starving themselves before the big day. Obviously, I would like to do whatever it is to make me feel the best I can on our wedding day, but I want to do it in a healthy way. Starving myself has never been never an option, and anyone who knows me knows that I get HANGRY if I don't eat for an extended period of time. But, it is becoming increasingly important to me to not only lead a healthy life, but to have a healthy mind.

First of all, coming from a dance background doesn't exactly give me the best body image. You are judged on not only how you dance, but how you look. Fact. Try doing that for 20 years and see where that leaves your body perception. However, it is in my power to make sure I take the necessary actions to make sure I look and feel my best in a healthy way.

In addition to reading my 239,982 style, fashion, social media, wedding and design blogs, I also read healthy food and exercise blogs. Recently, one of my favorite bloggers, Caitlin, from Healthy Tipping Point created her own health mission called Operation Beautiful. (She actually started her blog when she was preparing for her wedding and called it "See Bride Run.") Anyway, Operation Beautiful's crusade is to end "Fat Talk" and leave little post-it notes of inspiration in random places (fashion mags, the gym, dressing rooms, etc.) It is a small action that can make a HUGE difference. To me, my body perception is 100% different when I hang around body lovers as opposed to fat talkers. It shows me it isn't all about the numbers or sizes, it is about acceptance and appreciation.

To make my healthy mission even more focused, I was able to go to one of my favorite stores, Lululemon, yesterday. While it is extremely pricey, there are a few reasons I love it. First of all their workout pants are the.best. I have a pair that I wash and wear at least 3 times a week and they are in the same condition now as they were two years ago. Durable (and super cute) is an understatement. But, most importantly, I am delighted and obsessed with their manifesto. They strive to not just be a store, but a culture. And I can say that whenever I go in their stores, read their blogs entries or read stories of people who work there, Lululemon has succeeded. Again, their mission is "creating components for people to live a longer, healthier, more fun life." And, isn't that what it is all about? I have their manifesto on a little postcard that I keep by me at all times and look at it when I need that reminder to "sit back, relax, take it all in stride, be active and let life happen."


So, in other words, I will probably be trying to make health a more prominent priority in my life, but it's not just because I want to look good in a wedding dress. It's because I want to feel content and proud of my strong body and positive attitude. To me, that truly is everything.

Stepping off my soapbox now. Happy Monday!

1 comments:

mommy g said...

Let me introduce myself, I am Wendy aka Mommy G and the soon to be Mommy in law of Ashley.
My wishes are for Ashley to feel good about her self. We think she is beautiful inside and out. We want her to be healthy, and if that means taking steps to changing her daily life with food intake and exercise then we are completely supportive of her.!!!!! We are here to help you with this new journey , Ashley!!!!

Post a Comment