On 2009



As I look back and reflect on 2009 (because that is what we all do around this time of year), I can't believe 1) how fast it has gone 2) how much has happened. I realize that is common and almost cliche, but for someone who is usually a grandma and appreciates time to herself and unplanned weekends, it's been a crazy ride. Let me recap:

1) Jared and I started planning a wedding! What? That's insane. Fortunately, it hasn't been all that stressful. I think we gave ourselves more than enough time to research what we like and slowly make the big decisions. I am sure that will change as the big day gets closer, but so far, it's not bad at all. Finding the person you want to spend forever with is a pretty incredible thing, and while the wedding is important, realizing you get to grow old with your best friend is even better.

2) I changed jobs...twice. Who the heck does that? Ohhhh, me. What have I learned from that? Every person has the power within them to make themselves happy in their job. If you find yourself complaining every day and living for the weekend, it's probably a good idea to reevaluate your current position. I will never accept that thinking. I am in such a wonderfully content place right now and couldn't ask for more. All the craziness/disappointment/uncertainty of the changes was worth it, 100%. The worst thing anyone can do is sit around hoping things will change.

3) My brother got married. It wasn't just any wedding, though. I got to visit Portland and experience his life for the first time. Something really changed in me when I went there. I don't know what it was, but I felt like that was when I began to TRULY appreciate each and every moment. I feel like I look at things a little differently now, and when I get upset I think, "does it really matter?" Most of the time, it doesn't, and I accept it and move on. Why did this approach to life begin there? I can't really say, but it was like I saw some form of pure happiness and realized what was actually important in life. It was so wonderful to spend time with my family and see my brother so sincerely and blissfully happy. I STILL tear up when I talk about it. Oh, and that is another thing, I cry like a baby now. It was like all my emotions had been backed up for years and the dam finally broke. It's a good thing, though - I have come a long way.

4) My best friend got engaged and started planning her wedding in which I am a maid of honor. It's pretty cool to be able to share the process of planning a wedding with your best friend. We got to (still do) bounce ideas off each other and ask the questions we need answered that no one else will. Her wedding is January 9th, and I am still trying to plan my toast. :) She should be worried.

5) I gained some new friends that added so much to my life. It's amazing how positive people can affect you, and that is the case for me. I truly believe some people are toxic and just bring you down. I do my best to stay away from them. Alternatively, there are people who always make you smile and see the good in everything. They are genuine and do not have ulterior motives. This year, I was lucky to add a few of them to my life. It may seem like a small thing, but nothing beats having supportive, happy people around you.

All in all, 2009 was a blessing. I have always said that things in my life have a way of working out in some way or the other. I have a lot of faith that someone above is leading me to where I need to be. I definitely had some awful moments, but I wouldn't give those up because it most certainly led me to where I am today. I have never felt more content, and that is HUGE. I only hope that 2010 will be just as nice. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment